Mr. Rojas is a 49-year-old patient with End Stage Renal Disease. He has a history of hypertension and uncontrolled type 1 diabetes (since he was 12 years old). His last Hemoglobin A1c was 12.8%. He is currently receiving hemodialysis three times per week for three hours. He is in the hospital because he went into DKA a few days ago when he had a stomach virus. He is asking you about renal transplantation.
- What are the criteria to be placed in the transplant list?
- What options for transplantation does Mr. Rojas have?
- What recommendations can you give Mr. Rojas on treatment compliance?
- What other renal replacement therapies could Mr. Rojas be educated about?
- What are their advantages and disadvantages?